Essay PreviewMore ↓
Video games are no longer the nerdy stepchild of popular entertainment. Nearly half of all US homes own one game-playing machine, and 23 percent own more than three, according to Nielsen Entertainment. The technical requirements for video games are pushing the most popular technologies - including cell phones, Palm Pilots, computers, and TV - to become more versatile and powerful. College grads are now more likely to head into interactive software than moviemaking. This industry is now at an important crossroads, say experts, largely due to its explosive growth with the costs to develop a hit new game now topping $10 million.
In such a lucrative industry there must be an untapped area yet to be discovered. One area of choice is the advanced usage of gaming in an educational atmosphere. Games are increasingly used to support teaching and learning e.g., using text adventures to assist in teaching English as a second language. Another particular review of relevant research indicated that mathematics was a subject where the use of games was usually superior to traditional classroom instruction
However this, and several other reviews, were carried out when games were relatively primitive; fewer studies have been undertaken over the last five years, during which games have significantly increased in complexity, and often demand much greater interaction from the user. It does not require a great leap of imagination to extrapolate this database-oriented scenario into a more digital library and teaching-oriented scenario.
Video game manufactures such as Square Soft and E.A Games could greatly benefit from researching and developing a segment into educational gaming. They should segment this market in to an age bracket of 3 to 9 year olds.
How to Cite this Page
"New Industry in Gaming." 123HelpMe.com. 20 Jan 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Throughout time, technological tools have been created and improved for the well-being of humans. From the discovery of fire to having robots educate children, all inventions influence and impact the way we live in a society. Another instrument which will soon remodel the gaming industry and our lifestyle is the Oculus Rift. According to Chacos, Edge-Salois, Hamdan, Luckerson and Trivedi, there is research to prove that the Oculus Rift is a device that will revolutionize the gaming industry and the real world.... [tags: Technological Tools, Advancements, Gaming Industry]
1167 words (3.3 pages)
- As soon as the video game world pressed the start button on their business, they never stopped playing. Like any video game, they hit major checkpoints and beat levels. From Pac-Man with joysticks to Angry Birds on iPads, the video game industry has a consistent history of success. Today, everyone knows someone who plays or has played a video game. New games and gaming consoles are constantly being advertised and released. They are even an entertaining method of keeping people up with the growth of technology.... [tags: Video Gaming Essays]
2764 words (7.9 pages)
- In the 1980’s video games became vastly popular and its market boomed. Since this time the market has continued to grow, making it one of the most popular forms of entertainment in the modern day. There has been much speculation on the effects that both games and gaming have had on society as a whole. Games were first invented in the late 1940’s being found on mainframe computers. The first commercially viable game was computer space in 1971 a coin operated arcade version of an earlier game called Spacewar.... [tags: Gaming]
926 words (2.6 pages)
- Building a gaming computer may be an intimidating endeavour, but in all actuality with a little hard work anyone can be a whiz at putting together a gaming computer. Why build a custom gaming PC. Well it’ll save money, and give the builder a great experience. It’s always fun to learn how different things work. The price of a top of the line retail gaming computer runs from two thousand on up to five thousand dollars and beyond, a monitor alone could cost one thousand dollars. The two types of gaming PC builds are , the hardcore gamer build which will cost a little extra, and the casual gamer build which isn’t as expensive; moreover, the steps in building a gaming PC are: creating a budget,... [tags: Custom Gaming PC, Gaming Industry]
1117 words (3.2 pages)
- The World of Mobile Gaming In an industry that reaches far and wide across the world mobile video games are constantly changing, as are the markets they are in. The gaming industry makes billions of dollars per year, but a new division of that industry has lately experienced a growth on a large scale. The 2014 revenue for mobile game revenues was forecasted at approximately twenty-five billion dollars, a forecast that changed from an estimation from a few months prior at twenty-one point seven billion dollars.... [tags: Video game, Video game industry, Game designer]
2106 words (6 pages)
- ... This long of session will make a gamer seem more committed to the game, and they need to allocate so much time to even play the game. Then there are mobile games, usually not taking more than a couple minutes at most, then they can be continued again at a different time. This gives the feeling of that the gamers can just play one game fast before they start there next task. The largest benefit to mobile gaming compared to console is how convenient that mobile gaming is. Console gaming requires much more than Mobile.... [tags: Video game, Video game console, Game, Mobile game]
1349 words (3.9 pages)
- Gamers, designers, developers, marketers, feminists, parents, researchers, government, media, and distributors would all stakeholders related to the gaming industry. The most impacted by the issue would be for the designers. If the gamers do not like the characters then unfortunately the designers must reconstruct their design quickly, if not, then the gamers will find another company to play with. Gamers are perhaps the most vital investors in the firm´s existence. Gamers are the ones that play video games, whether they buy it themselves or not.... [tags: Video game, Video game industry, Arcade game]
1007 words (2.9 pages)
- Business intelligence (BI) is ubiquitous; it is disseminated throughout the world and is applied in almost every department of Information technology and business. The advent of BI has helped organizations across the world to surpass many of the constraints, pressures and challenges they had been facing for years. There are several methodologies and principles in place that are used to make sense of massive amounts of raw data in organizations and convert them to useful information. There are numerous business intelligence techniques adopted by organizations to bring about meaningful purpose of their raw data/information.... [tags: Raw Data, Multidimensional Database]
3115 words (8.9 pages)
- ... In game they called the “heroes” as champion because there are so many types of character. In LOL, they separates into two teams, and each team contain either 3 to 5 players depend on the maps. On the top right corner of the map is Noxus base, while on the left bottom corner of the map is Demancia base. In game, player can decide to play one of the 127 champions with different ability that can outscale the opponent. Usually every 3 to 4 the game developers creating new champions because to make more enjoyable.... [tags: Game, Play, Online game, Player]
1040 words (3 pages)
- Today it is all about the latest and greatest. Then again, who does not want the latest version of some fantastical gadget that you have to have “now”. In the twenty-first century, technology has been shoved into the pool of international application and without floaties has swam through it with flying colors. Technology has shaped the way the world runs today; from airports to enterprises, big companies and even education have all been radically changed by the emergence of successful technology.... [tags: Gaming]
1959 words (5.6 pages)