In discussing the research approach and philosophy one must consider the difference between method and methodology. Methodology refers to the approach utilized for the research and the method refers to the procedure used to carry out the research. Epistemology is the philosophical approach broadly adopted in this research as it amid to describe a phenomena within society or in an environment. Hence in in relation to this topic the phenomena is the trend towards sustainability among businesses in the UK. A relativist philosophy has been applied which provides the foundation for this research and can be best explained according to Mark Easterby-Smith et al, “Many truths exist and a single view can only result from a consensus of these multiple viewpoints,” (Mark Easterby-Smith et al : 2008). This philosophical framework has been selected because the aim of the research is to gain a greater understanding of the common consensus of opinions and attitudes held from luxury fashion customers about their views towards luxury fashion and sustainability. The researcher accepts that many opinions exists however those which comprise the majority are the viewpoints the researcher is primarily interested in.
Types of Research
Research can be classed into three perspectives; 1. Application of Research, 2. Objectives in Undertaking Research and 3. Inquiry Mode (Patton : 2002). Regarding the application of research, for the purposes of this paper, Applied Research has been conducted as opposed to Pure Research. Since the nature of the overall study is to be able to take and apply the principles discovered from the research for future benefit, applied research is more suitable. Pure research tends to revolve ...
... middle of paper ...
...roach to the research process and assists in lessening the weaknesses found in using quantitative and qualitative methods in isolation (Johnson & Onwuegbuzie : 2004). The mixed model research will be implemented by conducting surveys and semi structured interviews. For the purposes of this research it will enable the researcher to obtain a more holistic understanding of what is the impact of corporate and country culture on strategic alliances and why.
Secondary research was conducted by utilizing both qualitative and quantitative secondary research. Secondary research materials such as business journals and Mintel reports and industry reports provided information surrounding this topic. This secondary research could then be compared and contrasted with the primary research findings to help provide more understanding about the topic overall.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Philosophical-Anthropological Approach to Historic-Cultural Research ABSTRACT: This approach holds that the problem of humanity determines the history of culture. On the basis of theory developed by Max Scheler, I try to work out the main characteristics of cultural process, the typology of culture, and the periodization of culture. The humanities in Russia are in the midst of a methodological crisis now, and I hope that this approach will help us obtain a fuller understanding of culture. There's not a secret that Russian Humanities are in a methodological crisis now.... [tags: Philosophy Anthropology Essays]
1967 words (5.6 pages)
- Research philosophy, refers to the development of knowledge adopted by the researchers in their research (Saunders, Lewis and Thornhill, 2009). In other words, it is the theory that used to direct the researcher for conducting the procedure of research design, research strategy, questionnaire design and sampling (Malhotra, 2009). It is very important to have a clear understanding of the research philosophy so that we could examine the assumptions about the way we view the world, which are contained in the research philosophy we choose, knowing that whether they are appropriate or not (Saunders, Lewis and Thornhill, 2009).... [tags: Ontology, Epistemology]
745 words (2.1 pages)
- Research Question 2 Philosophy The positivist approach will be used for the second research question. Such an approach is viewed to be a scientific method that aims to gain information with the objective of discovering laws that may be generalised within similar conditions. Since the research is tackling the issue of foreign aid and sustainability, it has used the example of the effect of foreign aid in countries of Africa in order to contrast similarities in Palestine. Because the researcher is independent, and will adopt a traditional and scientific approach, it results in a concrete finding of similarity in the related situations, which would allow a more comprehensive conclusion and prov... [tags: Scientific Method, Gaining Information, Research]
1456 words (4.2 pages)
- Abstract Using required reading, discussions, and quizzes for references, I have produced in this assignment a scholarly document that addresses three topic areas: (a) philosophy of research, (b) core concept for research design, and (c), other approaches to research. I assessed explicit knowledge-base description of key concepts and questions related to the topic area. The purpose of this assignment was to demonstrate necessary proficiency in identification, articulation, and application, of related components characteristic of the social sciences.... [tags: Research Methods, Research Design]
2660 words (7.6 pages)
- DEFINITION: Nursing research is a systematic enquiry that seeks to add new nursing knowledge to benefit patients, families and communities. It encompasses all aspects of health that are of interest to nursing, including promotion of health, prevention of illness, care of people of all ages during illness and recovery (or) towards a peaceful and dignified death (ICN 2009) Research based practice is arguably the hallmark of professional nursing and is essential for high quality clinical and cost effective nursing care (ICN 2009) RESEARCH PARADIGMS Paradigm was coined by KUHN (1970).... [tags: Research Based Practice ]
1903 words (5.4 pages)
- Introduction This paper will provide a hypothetical discussion of how each of the four “worldviews” (post-positivism, constructivism, advocacy/participatory, and pragmatism) might apply to the proposed study. It will refer to the topic paper developed during the class RSH9101B (Research Topic, Problem, Purpose, and Questions) with the assistance of Dr. Kenneth Gossett, class mentor. The portion of the Topic Paper to be used will be the problem statement, which will provide the foundation for this discussion and completion of this assignment.... [tags: Research Analysis ]
2174 words (6.2 pages)
- Education is not a group of classes containing a series of facts to be used on a test and then forgotten. Education is a series of tools that students use every day in the classroom and in the real world. The English language is the primary language of the United States and people use it to communicate throughout the world. Yet, many students have difficulty using the language properly. As an educator, I would like to make a difference and help students write better and use proper grammar and punctuation.... [tags: Philosophy of Education]
1199 words (3.4 pages)
- Philosophy of Education On October 20, 2001 I had the greatest dream. From this dream, I came to the realization that I would become an educator. I’ve always felt that the hardest decision to make is what to do for the rest of your life. My life was heading on a different road in a completely different direction. After being down this road for nearly three years, I discovered that I was not satisfied with my initial career choice. The road led me to Concord College. My educational plan is to graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in Education with a concentration in Early Childhood Special Education.... [tags: Philosophy of Teaching Statement]
1022 words (2.9 pages)
- Philosophy of Education Have you ever sat down and thought about who your favorite teacher was during your primary and secondary school years. Did you enjoy their class because it was exciting, educational, and unique. When I decided to become a teacher I sat down and asked myself these very questions. After graduation it was very difficult for me to decide on how to further my life, college or entering the work force. After looking back on my life and trying to decide what has made the biggest influence on it, teaching has given me the greatest joy and pride.... [tags: Philosophy of Education]
1045 words (3 pages)
- Philosophy of Education The philosophical perspective possessed by a teacher has on affects the ability and effectiveness of their teaching methods. Therefore a teacher must be one who appreciates and respects education and formalized schooling. In the following paragraphs I will give a general description of my views on education. I will describe how I view the acquisition of knowledge, common student nature, what I believe the purpose of education is and my desired method and curriculum. Future teachers should carefully consider each of these aspects.... [tags: Philosophy of Teaching Teachers Education Essays]
1029 words (2.9 pages)